Wednesday, March 12, 2014

To adhere to Guilliman's holy text.

So, here we are. I have tried to show you the best way to start a Space Marine army, from my experience. Now I am going to talk about how I build my lists and the factors that I weigh.
I will again remind the reader that I am a novice to 40k. I have played many games in the last few years since starting. However, this is told from the point of view of a novice. If you do it differently, well that's great! Feel free to express your methods in the comments. I ask that any derisive or non constructive comments to be kept to yourself. As always take everything I say with a grain of salt. Lots of salt.


Where to begin? Well this has a simple answer. The Force Organization Chart, or FoC. If you can understand the FoC and why its so crucial to make the right choices in each category, well then my friend you are one step closer to victory!
Once you grasp the basics, the next step is determine what tactic you desire to effect on the battlefield.
You don't need to be able to name the tactic, just that you can visualize it.
-Does it require a special unit?
-How do your units move in relation to one and other?
-Are there special weapons required?
-Do you have a central unit you need to support?

Lets do an example:
I have a love for Tactical marines. I love the look and feel, as it were. So how to do I build an army with this unit in mind?

Well the first step is to determine what I plan on doing with these guys. In this case, I am just going to play capture and hold with them. So, in my opinion, the classic 10 man squad with a heavy bolter and flamer is looking pretty good. Sergeant takes a bolt pistol and chainsword for any bodies attempting to charge on them while they are holding the objective.  Maybe a melta bomb to deal with vehicles.
See there, we are well on our way to a list!
Now we just have to add more units to support these guys. Maybe a transport to get them there fast. How about a chaplain to make them more stalwart.(Hold it, at all costs kind of moments) Also we could take multiple units of the same arrangement. Better for grab and hold action!
At this point we look at support units. Thunderfire cannons, to help kill off large tarpits. Perhaps a Sternguard in a drop pod, to rough up the backfield. Predators are great for dealing with monstrous creatures and fliers are amazing at causing fear on the battlefield.
After assembling the ideal picture in my mind of how my army moves, I fill the holes. I select the units in order of precedence, or how often I see them in my mind's picture of the tactical breakdown. Once I have done this. I determine which HQ will best support my army. Some allow for re rolls for reserve. Others have amazing combat abilities. It all boils down to which one fills out the army the best. If you need to strip points to get an HQ into your army, try to start with the units that look good, but don't really conform to your image in your mind of how the game plays out.

When you finish your list, run it against your friends. See what ideas they have. Check in the forums.

But before you change it. Play it.


You need to know how well your visualized list plays. It will help you to better calibrate the picture in your mind. It will help you to understand the game more deeply. And when you play your list, don't be bothered by losing. Only that you can see its actual movement, as compared to your imagined. When you do this a few times, you will start to see a better picture forming.

Assignment:
Build a list with the aforementioned method. After you have played it. Share it here.

Luck in battle, brothers.

ATSKNF,
Torquer

7 comments:

  1. I'm also a big fan of Sternguard in a drop pod. They pretty much always do well for me. My other favorite unit is an Ironclad with heavy flamer and a meltagun in drop pod to get that scarey enemy vehicle on turn one if possible or to deal with those infiltrating light infantry near an objective really fast. A landspeeder with a multimelta isn't expensive in a list at all but once it takes out a vehicle or two in a game, it's amazing how well you can use it to distract and misdirect your opponent's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I am mainly trying to illustrate basic list building ideas. Get someone to start thinking about the list itself and the beginnings of mathammer goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main thing is find what works for you. I play a semi-static gun line with aggressive elements to grab objectives and take the fight to the enemy. So drop pods, stormraven, stormtalon, are common in my lists with 2 to 4 tactical squads backing them up with thunderfires or dev squads in support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I am making this post. I am trying to help other new players learn how to get to point of tactics you are. How to envision the tactics and match it with the models needed. You and I can mathammer all day. But for the new guy, learning how to get to this point is the exercise I am demonstrating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always start with the basic, my Troops choses. Usually its a tactical squad (with 10 marines in it) for every 500p we play. So in a 1500p army it would be three (but they can be split and combat squaded) with at least 30 marines in it.

    I know many others that gow ith less but I like the basic marines and to have some numbers

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the same points to tactical marine ratio, generally. I am however toying with the idea of doing a full 10 man, 6 squad tac line up. rhinos, hb, and flamers. Give the sgt melta bombs and bolt pistol and chainsword and this list comes to 1170. Lotsof room for a strong hq or stormtalons. I think it could be a lot of fun, watching my opponent deal with 60 tacticals.

    ReplyDelete